Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Let's Celebrate!

The Holidays are over. The tree is put away. The house is once again clean, but depressing and gloomy. I don't think I've ever gotten the post-holiday blues before. Somehow, this year, I felt it. So to cheer myself up, I decided to remind myself why I love living in the southern part of the country where the sun shines almost year round:  fresh, tropical fruits are always in season. Therefore, on Monday morning, I visited my neighborhood market and bought whatever they have in season. Here's what I came up with:

 Steak and Mango Salad with Lime-Honey Dressing

Ingredients:
1 ripe red mango (pitted, cut into chunks)
1 bag of Classic Romaine Salad from any brand
1 large avocado (pitted, peeled, cut into chunks)
1 large Roma Tomato (cut into chunks)
A few thin slices of yellow onion
1/4 cup Feta cheese
1/2 tsp lime zest
1 pinch of salt
1 pinch of black pepper
1/4 cup of Lo Mein noodles

1 boneless sirloin steak (6 oz)

Juice of 1 lime
1 1/2 tbsp pure honey
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/8 tsp of black pepper
1 pinch of salt

Directions:
1.Cook the steak (seasoned with salt and pepper) either on a pan or broil it in the oven. Cook to desired level. I preferred mine medium. Let steak cool for 10 minutes, and then cut into chunks.

2. Toss the tomato, avocado, mango, onion, salad mix, salt, pepper, and lime zest together.

3. In a separate bowl, combine lime juice and honey. Mix until the honey is blended into the juice. Add salt and pepper. Slowly, add the olive oil while mixing vigorously.

4. Add the dressing to the salad mix and toss.

5. Sprinkle the top of the salad with Feta cheese, Lo Mein noodles, and steak cubes.

6. Refrigerate for up to 1 hr or serve immediately.

Happy Cooking!

---------
Oh, and here's the birthday cake that I made myself. I will not bore you with the details of making it. Just tantalize you with the picture of it. =P


Happy Cooking!